Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kids

Working in a dental public health clinic is an interesting experience. Working in a PEDIATRIC dental health clinic is even more interesting. The spectrum of patients is very broad from age, behavior, and procedures.

For example, today I saw two three year olds. One became hysterical when I started brushing his teeth. The other sat very still, opened "wide like an alligator" and let me do a filling without a single movement, wimper, or complaint. I also saw an 8 year old who almost got stabbed with the needled when he grabbed my hands and sat up during his injection and I've seen 13 year olds cry. So interesting.

It breaks my heart to see little kids who really can't know better, like a 2 year old we saw who needs 4 teeth taken out, or even the 9 year old whose mom never brought her back to have her cavities filled and may lose her teeth.

4 comments:

brenna said...

I hope you don't lose your fingers...

The Swensons said...

That is so sad! We just took Gavin in yesterday for a cleaning and fortunately, the dentist said his teeth look wonderful and he still has no cavities. I can only hope it stays that way! I don't think I could handle watching him go through having a tooth filled...

Suz said...

It is sad. Child obesity is also a hard one for me.

Erin said...

Good job, Mom (Ash). Keep helping him brush and he may never have to get cavities! Luckily, much of it is up to you.