Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I miss the sun and the sea

I just got offline from talking with some good old friends from Utila. After graduation from BYU I lived on a very small backpacker-hub island in Honduras. For three months, all I did was wake up early, dive, eat baleadas, dive, and meet people from all over the world. I miss the sun, my braided hair that turned almost blonde, my strong shoulder muscles from carrying tanks, and no phone, no car, loud rap and polka music blasting from shacks ("na na na Gasolina-a-a")and just friends and strangers for fun and companionship.

As much as I like what I am doing, sometimes I wish I could be a dive bum, living the dream. The taste I had was just enough to make me miss it sometimes. Even though I am a dive instructor, it is hard to listen to my friends who are actually traveling to exotic places, diving along the way, teaching others to enjoy the ocean. Iowa winters don't help.

It has been almost 2 years since I have been beneath the ocean. I am a long way off from my 125 dives in the Bay Islands. I wonder if I even remember how to do it anymore?

3 comments:

Dave and Abby said...

I had no idea you lived in Utila! No one seems to know anything about it. I served in the Honduras San Pedro Sula Mission (00-02), and while in Ceiba for my last 4 months, I would fly out to Utila every other weekend to hold church services (my companion and I were the sort of temporary acting branch presidents). Some day I hope to get into diving and then return. I was quite jealous of diver bums that were everywhere! My only adventure into the crystal clear luke warm sea was for a baptism were performed at the edge of the bay. What a beautiful place!

Dave

Dave said...

I am really ready to dive also.

Suz said...

I think about Utila all the time.