Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fit

I have been thinking a lot about my desire to be healthy. Part of it is wanting to be back at my pre-wedding weight and prevent any weight loss problems down the line. Maybe more so, I want to live an active and full life. I don't want to get diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart problems, etc. I want to be 80 and running marathons (not really, I know that will never happen since I wont do one now!). I want to have smooth arteries with no obstructions, be able to run and not be faint, and to have Michelle Obama arms (shout out to Abe here, who is an Obama fan. Evidently her arms are a BIG DEAL).

I am trying to figure out some kind of overall health plan that will encourage me in all areas. I thought it would be fun if others, particularly family members, would join me. It may help to have some encouragement/friendly competition and I want you to live long and active healthy lives with me, too.

Here are my thoughts: we could do a "biggest loser competiton." However, not everyone in the family (or anyone else who wants to participate) has much to lose. This shouldn't preclude involvment. So, I thought we could have a side goal of total weight lost as a family as well as other health goals to reach.

For example, every time you drink 8 glasses of water a day, you get 1 point. Every day you eat 5 fruits/veggies that is 2 points. Avoid dessert is 1 pt. 30 minutes of exercise is 5 points. Something like that. We could have a winner as an individual or a couple or parents/children, and even an overall family goal. Not sure what the incentives should be yet.

Let me know what you think. If you have any ideas for incentives or a way to grade that would be great.

Here's to healthy arteries!

5 comments:

Amber said...

That's a great idea! I'd love to participate and help motivate each other. Let me know what you decide to do!

Colt said...

sorry but i gave up all physical activity post high school football. I have the bones and joints of an old man now.

brenna said...

I'm in. Sounds good.

Dave said...

I'm in.........

Suz said...

I'm in. My incentive will be getting into my swim suit for June's dive trip. You need to type up an offical rule/point guide and and maybe a paper we can use as a log.