Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Facilitator

I recently met an interesting patient in my dental chair. He had been very neglectful of his teeth (see previous entry)and most had decayed to the root. Needless to say, he was in desperate need of some help. I asked why he had come to the college and he told me, "A woman." I found out that after 30 years he was being reunited with his first love next spring. He wanted to make the best impression because he felt this was the most important thing that had ever happened to him. My instructor and I felt awful because the timeline he gave us did not seem reasonable due to scheduling here. We ended up finding a way for it to be done, bending over backwards...it was too touching a story to not help him out. We helped him schedule and smiled, knowing we had done some good in the world. Karma, right...?

Well, after we dismissed him we realized we had a message to give him. My instructor tried to call him using the contact info he had given. His information sheet yielded a very fishy bit of information. His emergency contact was none other than his WIFE!

We were pretty appalled at what we may have done though, facilitating a man in an affair? I am just hoping I'm not a homewrecker by association!

We are hoping that somehow it isn't how it looks. My classmates reminded me, "At least you addressed his chief complaint!" --something you are never supposed to leave undone.

2 comments:

brenna said...

Haha! That is pretty bad, you little homewrecker! At least him having a healthier mouth benefits his wife too.

brenna said...

By the way, congrats on getting over 100!