Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 1

Today was my first day on Internal Medicine. I am rotating on the surgical co-management team for one month. The team helps manage post operative problems for surgery patients and evaluates and makes recommendations for patients before their surgeries. Very applicable for me.

 

It is a bit intimidating entering the MD world without an MD.  Basic things like knowing how (and what) labs to order, presenting patients on rounds without a surgical emphasis, etc are all things I get to pick up now.

 

It was also strange to realize I am not going to be performing surgery on any of these patients. I definitely have the surgical mentality of “find the problem, fix it.” This is the very basis of dentistry (my degree is doctor of dental SURGERY not doctor of dental MEDICINE), not to mention my specialty. It is going to be interesting to do more thinking than doing with my patients.

 

There is so much for me to learn. I am excited to get a better understanding of how to manage heart problems, diabetes, etc.

1 comment:

brenna said...

I'm glad you aren't my doctor ;) just kidding!