Sunday, September 28, 2008

Zucchini Soup

I am always looking for ways to use more vegetables. I have been craving zucchini soup like my mom used to make and found a recipe that sounded great. When I tried to make it I realized I was missing some of the key ingredients. Here is what I came up with mid-saute. Turned out great!

2 T butter
1 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp chile powder
zucchini, chopped (I used one but I think 2 would be better)
2 c. chicken broth (I used chicken boulion with water)
1/2 can coconut milk
lime juice to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste

1. In laurge saucepan, melt butter over med heat. Add onion and saute for 5 min or until soft. Add garlic and chile powder and saute until fragrant, about 2 min. Add zucchini and saute for 5 min, until soft.

2. Transfer zucchini mixture to a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup broth and puree.

3. Return the puree to saucepan. Stir in remaining broth and coconut milk and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 min. Stir in lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper.

It didn't make a ton so was just right for the two of us. If you wanted a bigger recipe I would double the broth and coconut milk and add up to 4 zucchini.

No comments: