Sunday, June 16, 2013

I should be in bed...


I really don't have anything clever or thoughtful to say but as I realize I should be in bed (and hours ago-- esp considering how dead tired I am!) I thought I would give a little life update for those who want more details of my glamorous and exciting life.

We are heading into the summer months which inevitably mean extra busy schedules at work. Currently, I am what we call the "clinic chief." This means I am the senior resident in charge of coordinating and preparing ("working up") patients for all of our elective OR surgeries this month. This can be quite busy with a lot of lab work and presentations to prepare after hours. It has been really fun to finally be performing the procedures I've been watching from the sidelines for the past four years. I have also been amping up my study efforts. It seems there really isn't much time for much of anything outside of work lately.

Next month will likely prove to be even busier. As the weather heats up, so do our traumas. I will be on call the month of July for trauma as our "trauma chief," meaning I will be taking back up or second call the whole month. Our new residents start July 1 which means some extra work to get everyone amped up and ready to go.

I am excited for the new year. I think it will be a lot of fun to get to do more things in the operating room and I look forward to working with our upcoming residents. I hope I can be the kind of chief I would want while helping them learn what they need to know to be successful in residency.

In the meantime, my blogging will probably suffer. As will my housework, cooking, exercising, and much of anything outside of work which has been harder to get done lately more than ever. And I am going to try even harder to not ignore my husband too much. I think we've been accidentally neglecting each other much more with our crazy schedules.

Here's to one more year!

1 comment:

Mom said...

This too shall pass. Time goes by so fast. You'll look back and realize how short it was and you'll be able to feel proud that you made it and came out the better for it.

Good plan to make Abe your priority. Stick together as much as your schedules permit and don't let anything/one else make you feel guilty for not making it/them a higher priority than your immediate family. That one thing is what will get you through with the fewest battle scars.