Thursday, July 8, 2010

Why I’ve been away

Life has been very busy since officially starting my residency on July 1. I am so glad that the house feels mostly put together. It is such a relief to come home to a cute little house without a bunch of boxes everywhere (it is kind of a hoax, though, we stashed a bunch in the basement and attic—out of sight, out of mind…)

 

Already I have had some nights of very little sleep, with about 6 hours total between two nights on-call. The summer tends to be a very busy time, both with residents transitioning as well as for trauma in general.

I have also been helping the new residents a lot get situated, figure out the computer systems, where to go, etc. It is so nice to not be new!

 

We started a two week head and neck anatomy course complete with cadaver lab. I am surprised that although I thought I remembered the smell, it still wakes me up with a jolt each morning. Formaldehyde! We are studying madly between classes so we can do well on our two tests which we have been assured that “our residents always do very well on.”

 

As if trying to stay awake in class all day isn’t hard enough while living on on-call sleep, we also have had class in the evenings from 5-8pm. So, my day starts about 6 am and ends about 8 pm, unless I am on-call. We also have additional readings and studying to do for classes and rounding. Yawn.

 

Overall, I am learning a lot but feeling busy and tired. We have managed to squeeze in my birthday and our anniversary some how.

 

Are you bored yet? :)

2 comments:

nathan n rachel said...

Erin...I'm so glad it's you and not me. :) Hang in there.

Abby said...

This week I had class until 10 pm on Tuesday night and had to be at work at 7 am the next morning to run an event all day. I was exhausted.

My point is, I don't know how you do it! I'm impressed:)

Whenever you find a moment to blog again, are we going to get some house pictures?!