Monday, March 22, 2010

Obama finally lived up to one of his promises...unfortunately. The healthcare bill was passed yesterday by a narrow margin.

I have butterflies in my tummy just thinking about it. Who knows how this will really affect each of us. I have to say, I am worried. I am worried about the quality and cost of healthcare in America. I am worried about accessibility. I am worried what this means for my future as a healthcare provider, not only for the potential impact on my income and quality of life, but on my ability to make appropriate choices and provide treatment options for my patients.

I know a lot of people are happy. I can't see they really understand the implications of this new change. I don't think any of us can!

4 comments:

nathan n rachel said...

Amen Erin!

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I am with you on that one. So much for listening to the people.

Amber said...

I am furious. Anyone want to start a facebook campaign? Do you think we could be effective? I am thinking of two:

Vote them all out in November!

and

The People don't want Obamacare!

I am open to re-titling.

Abraham said...

I'm confused. I've tried to stay somewhat on top of the situation (since I may also someday be a healthcare provider), but I still haven't read/heard how the new legislation will change healthcare in America.

All I know is: More people will have health insurance (it's hard to see anything wrong with that) and wealthier Americans will pay higher taxes (which doesn't seem to directly affect me now, but I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be very happy about it).

The interesting thing to me is that I know physicians who are enthusiastic about the legislation and I know physicians who think the world has just ended. I'm not sure who to believe???

What I'd like to know is: How will this affect how medicine is practiced in America? How will it affect accessibility of healthcare? How will it affect quality of healthcare? What lonterm effects will it have on the U.S. budget and deficit (I've heard some say it will save money and others say it will destroy the economy)? How will it affect my wife's salary? (Just kidding)

If any of you have strong opinions either way about this legislation, please share your reasons. Living in a liberal town and working with physicians, I hear strong opinions on both sides. I'd like to be better informed.

P.S. Lest you think I'm trying to defend the bill, there are 2 things that I'm definitely not happy about:
1. There was no bipartisan support for the bill whatsoever.
2. In a nation as large and diverse as the U.S., I'd prefer to see individual states take the lead on reform (e.g. Massachusetts and Utah) as opposed to one-size-fits all national legislation.