Thursday, July 24, 2008

Senioritis?

Today was our first day back to school and as senior dental students. We started the day off with orientation, of course. We will have almost a week of it. Usually, it entails sitting in a room for hours with multiple presentations that are 15 minutes instead of 45 and a lot of lag time in between sessions. No difference today.

Normally, I am glad to be back for at least the sake of seeing my friends and classmates. Today I felt very anti-social. I wondered why until I realized...its only been 20 days since we were all here.

This year will be more like private practice than anything we have had so far. It sounds fun and a little intimidating. Most of all, I am beginning to realize that real life will be upon me very soon. I need to start making plans --follow ups for what to do if I don't get in to OS here at Iowa, looking into practices or other residency programs, learning about contracts and business, taking my licensure and board exams, paying off loans, etc. I also realize that now, instead of learning things for tests, I need to make sure I learn and remember everything for real life. Last year I would feel intimidated by new assignments and relieved if they passed me by. Now, I need to get all the experience I can before I am on my own.

I hope it all goes well. I am a bit intimidated!

3 comments:

Diana said...

You'll do great. Isn't it a great feeling to know you will be done soon. I'm sure all of the life responsibilities confronting you are overwhelming, but still, being done with school will be nice!

Suz said...

Feeling overwhelmed is probably a normal reaction for someone in your position. By the end of the year, I suspect you will feel completely ready.

Colt said...

pary time