Monday, May 5, 2008

Why are people mean?

So I have been trying to get ahold of a patient to schedule the rest of her appointments. Basically, she is my hardest remaining pros case and I need to get her scheduled just right or we won't finish on time (and I am still crossing my fingers that everything will go well as it is). I can't schedule my other patients until I have her down in my appointment book.

I called (for the second time) and got her husband (again). I asked if there was another number or time I could call. He got upset and asked me what the problem was (I think he can't decide it I am a telemarketer or not).

I explained my situation, that his wife was my patient and that I am trying to coordinate schedules with her so we can finish our treatment on time. He got annoyed and took my number. I started to re-emphasize that the sooner she calls me the better because we are getting down to crunch time. I also wanted to let her know that I know she has an upcoming appointment scheduled but that we need to book more out.

He told me something like, "Hey lady, now you are just rattling." I was shocked and didn't know what to say. He said with a tone, "My wife will call you back," and hung up on me.

Anyway, it doesn't sound nearly so rude in type, but I was pretty bothered. She is the one that came to the dental school to see me! I thought she wanted treatment but I was treated like a bill collector or something instead of the good samaritan I am trying to be (okay, an exaggeration, but it is in both our benefits to finish this treatment).

I just don't understand why people have to be mean.

2 comments:

brenna said...

That's too bad. Maybe you should "forget" to give her a numbing shot. That would teach her a lesson...

Diana said...

I think the husband was very rude. It is nice of you to provide such great service. I hope she calls you back!