Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The End of the World As I Know It

 
We did it! Oral Surgeons Ryan, Erin, and Ryan
After five years I finally completed my residency in Oral Maxillofacial Surgery! 
 


 
Funny how 5 years can fit into 2 little boxes!
My last day, holding gifts received from a patient
I can't quite believe that it is over. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday at the hospital and it felt so weird wandering the halls as a patient instead of with my big yellow "DOCTOR" badge telling everyone I deserved to be there. I almost stopped by my department to say hi until I realized that would look desperate and strange--she can't stay away a single day?!
 
So instead, I am home sorting through pictures and emails; finalizing (I hope) some new job paperwork and a last few lingering old job paperwork tasks as well. I am hoping to do something productive like clean my garage and maybe something fun, too. Oh, and I guess I am getting caught up on blogging.
 
* * *
 
June 20. 2014
 
I've been lucky to have such a supportive and wonderful husband during the rigorous hours of my training. It has been nice in a lot of ways to have the shared experience of residency. It is easier to be patient when he isn't home and to understand I sometimes just need to do my own thing. I can commiserate over difficult patients, frustrating paperwork, and interdepartmental political foibles. I hope I don't forget some of this over the next few years while he finishes his training so I can be as supportive to him as he was for me.
 

I was lucky to have my parents come visit us for the event. I don't get to see my family nearly as much as I would like so this was an extra special event. As Ryan said in his speech, "I wouldn't be here without you. No really, I wouldn't."
 

And Abe's wonderful family who has been very supportive and helpful over the years. Lots of meals, favors, errands (letting the plumber in or taking the car to the shop, etc), have been provided for us by them! Not to mention emotional support.


The Jackson clan
 So glad my brother and his girlfriend could make the trip as well.

My gnome was abducted the night before but luckily returned to me


 
I've been lucky to make some lovely friends along the way. I am going to miss seeing them every day.



Our department sponsors a nice banquet for everyone. This year the banquet occurred on my last day of residency. It was a highlight to end on.



I'm going to miss my friends Ryan and Ryan. Four years of jokes and friendship. I think my life will definitely be much calmer without them around. I'm not sure that is necessarily a good thing.

I really think doing an extra year of residency was worth it to be able to spend that time with them.

Congrats doctors and hope to stay in touch forever!

 


 
 
*It is a little strange as I write to realize this will be probably the last time I choose the label "residency" to describe a post. 

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Congratulations on being done! What a wonderful feeling. Definitely going to miss seeing you around the ORs.

Caitlyn Jackson said...

you have killer eyebrow game rn, just fyi

Rachel Culmer said...

Clicking my heels! What a journey! And I feel like I was part of your journey (after all, I did assist with your boards). :)

Congrats Dr. Sheffield -- Oral Surgeon! Wahoo. Now you need to give me a chin. :)

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

Biggest congrats headed your way! So exciting and I must say that you look fab! Can't wait to hear all about the forthcoming adventures of your life. Miss you.