Sunday, June 15, 2014

5




I realize that all of my posts lately are essentially the same:

I can't believe it but my residency is almost over.

Today is not going to be any different. I keep having those feelings but the "Wow, it is really happening" feeling just keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Last week we had our "pinning" ceremony where we quite literally put a push pin in the map to show where we will be practicing.

My co--residents Ryan and Ryan and I, happy to be almost done

Followed by our annual golf event, a reward for surviving our mock boards.

This picture reminded me more than usual that it really was always me and "the guys"



At the beginning of the month I completed call. Late last week I completed my last case in the operating room.

And after 5 years, it is strange to say I have 5 days left. Not even "5 
workdays," just 5 days-- no matter how you look at it.









I realize I have very few pictures from residency looking back

People keep asking me if I am counting down the days. Yes, but mostly on accident as after you have only 5 or 10 or 20 days left it is pretty easy to do the math. I wouldn't say I "can't wait to be done" because after 5 years, I think I can handle a few more days. And I am trying my best to savor every last minute of learning (I have surprisingly had multiple learning experiences even at this late moment), enjoying the people I have come to know quite well and their friendship and support, and realizing that REAL life, as much as I have looked forward to it, is coming soon.

And I honestly have no idea what that will really be like!

I'll miss meeting up with this guy for lunch and late night OR dates

Oh I hope it is as good as I have always hoped...

I have a lot to complete in the next five days. A research presentation (still have to make my power point), a casual oral report, complete and print surgical logs, finish photo documentation of some of my cases, clean out my desk, turn in my pager (I volunteered to do this earlier but they wouldn't let me!) complete my PALS (pediatric life support) course, and clean my house for family arriving in town later this week. Yay! (Among other things.)

And then our banquet on Friday.








2 comments:

Kristy said...

Congratulations, Erin!! Such a huge accomplishment and I really admire your tenacity. I know it's been tough at times but you made it through! I am sure Abe won't get time off this summer but I hope you find time to celebrate finishing your residency.

Suz said...

I can't wait! I am so proud, you cannot imagine.