Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Not talking about cocktails…

Vineyard Elementary school in 1988 had an epidemic: little girls were making messes in their pants – on the playground, in the cafeteria, during class. This was becoming a huge problem. What kind of phenomenon could be causing all of these bladder mishaps?

Bloody Mary

picture: search-q=bloody+mary&view=detail&id=C21A8457EDA0C7943800E3C7ABA71A425DA3AFFD&first=1

Are you familiar with Mary and her bloody bloody game?

I wasn’t really either. At least not back then at 5 years old. Here is what I did know: every day when we’d go into the bathroom there would be a large group of older girls in there. They would instruct us to scream and run away. I never understood why I was supposed to scream but I would usually half heartedly do so, with the other little girls in the bathroom. They would yell things like, “Bloody Mary, Blu-de-y Mare-y.” I think sometimes they would even turn the lights off in the bathroom and try to spin you in circles.

I don’t remember ever peeing my pants or even really being afraid (just confused!) but evidently a large number of girls were so terrified they would avoid the bathroom at all costs. Thus the large amounts of yellow body fluid found frequently throughout the school.

As I got older this seemed to be a continuing bathroom theme for elementary school, even after changing schools multiple times. I never tried to summon Mary but it was well into my adult life before I could look in a mirror in the dark without feeling the creeps.

Did anyone else ever go through a Blood Mary phase?

4 comments:

Mom said...

First I've heard of this.

Sarah Beth said...

I was creeped out by this...I don't know any girls who were so scared they wouldn't use the bathroom though. Wow.

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I don't remember doing it during school, but I did have a couple friends that ALWAYS wanted to do it when I was over at their house... I was too much of a wimp to actually give it a try.

Camber said...

I'd forgotten all about this, but I actually remember doing this at friends' houses when I was younger. Bloody Mary never showed, and I don't remember it making me afraid of bathroom mirrors. It's amazing what creepy things kids do without thinking about it too much.