Thursday, May 7, 2009

A self test--if you dare!

I read an article I found on CNN.com today about the epidemic of narcissism. I thought it was very interesting and focused on the huge rise of self centeredness in our society. Things like celebrity worship, constant concerns about beauty, entitlement, etc. I can't seem to find the link now but it got me thinking. They talked about narcissists being concerned with having many many superficial friends who can feed their egos without building lasting relationships. They are often more concerned with looking important than about others. They expect others to fulfill their desires without much concern for the difficulties it places on another, etc. I have had many associations with these kind of people. Often, I don't realize the extent until I have been sucked into a toxic relationship that is painful to end. 

This got me wondering, am I one of the sorry lot who have succumbed to the epidemic? Here is a handy quiz. I think the term "emotional vampire" is very fitting. I have found that I have had the emotional life sucked out of me on multiple times.

Are you a emotional vampire?

I hope my blogging isn't a sign of my self centeredness and need for praise or to feel important. If I have showed any vampire-ish tendencies or blatant behavior, please forgive me and help me remember how wonderful you are.

Here is a more "legit" feeling quiz if you are really curious.


3 comments:

Dave said...

Hmmm.....

I am not sure what to say about this post, but thank you for providing a link to my blog so more of the little people can see what I am up to. It is hard to always share when I am doing so many important things but I know how significant it is for all of you to have some contact with me. I also realize that I need to show more personal photos, a few close-ups and action pictures on my Harley, in swim trunks, etc. I hope everyone is as happy as I am as I continue to have such great success. You people worrying about getting old is lame. I am just getting better and better as I spend more time on this earth. The other day I had another opportunity to show a poor unfortunate soul how lucky he was in coming in contact with me........

Bob said...

Dave's comment is probably the funniest thing that I've read in a while. I laughed so hard, my side aches.

Abraham said...

Bob, it's funny that you should say that. I heard Susan say something very similar last night on the phone. Hmmmm...