Monday, May 7, 2012

Apples to Apples and Monopoly

“He once had an awkward moment, just to see what it felt like.” –Dos Equis The Most Interesting Man in the World
* * * * *
Here is what I could consider an awkward moment: Being asked a question and being unsure if it is hypothetical or not; or, thinking the question is hypothetical when the person is expecting an answer.
A few years ago in my residency I was working with a doctor. He was telling me about someone he did not get along well with. He told me, “He’s a game player, you know.(?)” I, trying to be agreeable (man, it seems like I do that a lot), nodded and smiled, probably with an “um hmm.”
It caught me off guard when he said, “Yes, yes he is. And Erin, what’s his game?” That’s what I get for trying to seem understanding. I felt like I was digging myself out of a deep hole. I wanted to say, “Monopoly?” Instead, I said, “He’s… manipulative…?”
I think that was a generic enough answer to get me by. That one caught me off guard. I still makes me laugh to think about it. I’m still not sure the “right” answer.
* * * * *
My husband likes to ask hypothetical questions. Except he usually wants an answer. I feel a little off guard when he says something like his favorite, “How do you like them apples?” and I can tell he is waiting for a response. I don’t usually know what I think of “them apples.”  I guess the thing about hypothetical questions is, they usually don’t have a good answer and they often don’t have an answer, period. And if they did, I think you usually know the answer: I don’t think people usually like the apples.

source
So, how do you like them apples?
Better than granny smith but not as well as honey crisp.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

Omg, Abe says that, too?? I totally thought that was just an Aaron thing...now I know it is a Sheffield thing.

And I also never know how to respond to that question, Erin, so you are definitely not alone ;)

--Cristina