Wednesday, December 20, 2017

It's A ... And Only One!

Week 22 

During the study that got me pregnant we did an ultrasound to confirm ovulation. It showed that I had ovulated...three times! Somehow, perhaps miraculously, we are only pregnant with one baby. I chided my doctor for almost getting me pregnant with triplets again and I could tell he felt a little sheepish.

It was confirmed on both of our more recent ultrasounds that in fact, it was just ONE baby. Phew. Part of me would love to have twins again, but I am relieved and hoping this ONE will be a comparative breeze.

* * *

Before we became pregnant, I felt we would have three children, one girl and two boys. I think this was the idea that maybe our son's identical twin would get a second chance to join our family. However, as I continued to experience morning sickness beyond what I remember or had documented in my previous pregnancy, I started to wonder more and more if this baby was a girl. "I was much sicker with my girl," seemed to be the common consensus expressed to me by friends. I even had a dream that we were having another daughter. So I was a little uncertain what our 20 week ultrasound would show.

Unlike last pregnancy where we had ultrasounds sometimes every week, this time we were excited to catch another rare glimpse of our baby. Luckily, baby seemed to have all the parts and pieces they look for on an ultrasound and even gave us an open fisted wave with both hands. Baby bopped around and was quite active, but showed us everything except for the pertinent anatomy! The Ultrasound Technician started packing up shop and wiping the gel from my belly when I said, "So do we not get to find out the gender today?"

Unlike many of our family members and some friends, we are not the wait and see until the baby is born type! We  want to know ahead of time, as soon as the technician knows and as early as possible. So I kind of had to laugh to myself that maybe we'd get a surprise gender reveal, after all. 

The technician quickly said, "Oh yes!" as baby had been pretty shy and cross-legged (very Sheffield-esque) during the scan. She had me lie on my side and right away we could see that baby was a girl! I had been thinking she was in fact probably a girl, but we were still a little surprised. My biggest thought to that point was that Mister would probably have another little mother to gang up on him with his bossy big Sister. Abe was worried by the fact we'd have to choose another girl's name, which was difficult for us last time.

But, we are happy and excited by the turn of events, despite the difficult naming task ahead. Abe made one of his delicious and rare cakes with pink frosting to share the news with family. 





Do you think little sister looks like her siblings? I see some resemblance, especially to her big sister.

Baby A -- Big Sister

Little Sister

Baby B -- Brother
At about 11 weeks I thought I was beginning to feel better. I luckily have had very little vomiting episodes (mostly just from gagging while brushing my teeth!), but have had quite a bit of nausea. The nausea become more intermittent but seemed to worsen. Finally about the time of my 20 week US the nausea had subsided. I told the doctor I was suspecting a girl because of the nausea and wondered if it was an old wives' tale. She said "No, it's true!" I'm still a little puzzled why I would be more sick this time than I was with a girl AND a boy...but okay. My horrible body (but not face?!?) acne thankfully also subsided about a month ago as well. Phew.

I'm feeling big but not nearly as uncomfortable as last time -- by 18-19 weeks with the twins I remember thinking I had already breezed by my second trimester and into my third. I am still sleeping with only one pillow. My rings are still on my fingers (although they did get resized up one full size after my delivery). I haven't had carpal tunnel (hallelujah!). It is a little strange being pregnant in the winter instead of the summer. Instead of trying to squeeze my swollen feet into sandals I am trying to zip coats over my belly.

My doctor warned me that after last time I would feel a lot smaller but would still feel huge because my uterus is all stretched out. After seeing these pictures I am wondering/scared I am as big as last time. Or bigger? Maybe black is slimming? (My belly shape is a little different.) Luckily after just checking today, I have gained 10 lbs less than last time so far (18.4 vs. 28.5 lb). Still a little more than I'd like at this point but I'm not sweating it yet. Hopefully in another week or two I'll have all of the eggnog and Christmas cookies behind me and can slow down a bit.
22 weeks with twins
Almost 22 weeks!



We evidently love pink around here!

About 22 weeks with twins -- funny we are also color coordinated for boy/girl twins!

Singleton Pregnancy Symptoms Week 22:
tiredness, low motivation
insomnia (thank you Unisom!)
some discomfort with sitting at times
feeling movement, mostly about 9 pm
round ligament pain

Twin Pregnancy Symptoms Weeks 22-23:
evening tiredness 
arm/hand numbness -- worse this week
hand and foot swelling -- thank you compression stockings!
discomfort -- it's getting hard to move!
insomnia
mild acne flare up
no leg hair! I've gone weeks without shaving
feeling movement
left TMJ popping -- I guess all those joints are loosening up!

1 comment:

Suz said...

Once you have twins, you can kiss a small pregger belly good-bye for all pregnancies after. ha ha
You carry those babies up high.