Monday, April 15, 2013

Bad (Picture) Monday

2013-03-04 18.49.31-1

I was planning to post another “Bad Picture Monday” photo today.

But it felt a little silly or trivial for a day that people lost their lives celebrating a state holiday. A day where as I did laundry, cleaned my bathroom, and did dishes (sad that I look forward to vacation days like this), it was also a day where some of our own family members were very close to being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A day that as my brother put it, as people were celebrating the wonders of life and the ability of bodies to perform almost miraculous feats, was marred by senseless violence. Suddenly, feeling a little insecure about a picture everyone else thinks probably “isn’t that bad” (or maybe even “is a perfect likeness” of me –I hope not), seems pretty trivial.

But then I thought about terror. Most people don’t wake up thinking,

“This could be the day I am injured or killed by a terrorist while watching a sporting event.”

Unfortunately today, that was the reality for many.

And when you do start thinking that way, being afraid to live your life, is when they win.

When we let the terror get to us, they win.

And so, here is my picture. I think it is pretty unflattering. You probably disagree. But on a day that I could choose to be solemn and fearful, I am going to live my life as I normally would…getting braver at accepting who I am even in unflattering moments, at least on Mondays. 

I find it fitting the picture I chose was at Disneyland’s “It’s a small world” ride.

Because it truly is a “Small world after all,” and more importantly, a  “World of laughter, a world of cheer” if we let it be.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Well said. Not much else to say. It is all just so senseless.

brenna said...

Thanks for posting this. Such a sad thing.

Tawnya said...

So sad. Thanks for still posting, though I really think you need to work on posting actual unflattering pictures? Remember mine?! Gain some weight, get a lot of acne, don't put on makeup or do your hair...something! You just look too good!