Saturday, March 8, 2008

Endo Success!

I had an exciting day in Endodontics. I did my first root canal treatment. I am happy to say I don't think it could have gone better. It was an anterior tooth which had broken off so was very easy to see everything I was doing. My patient was very nice and cooperative, and we were able to finish after a long day (I know some would laugh it took a whole day to do one tooth, but there is a lot of waiting for instructor checks, not to mention just being slow). I even made a temporary out of his previous crown and a pre-formed post. I was so excited that it went so well. My professor who can be pretty hard and very slow with compliments seemed very pleased with my work and said I had done a great job.

I really think it was an answer to my prayers, as well. I was praying I would find a patient to come in on Monday since I had an open spot, and I've been so nervous about not having enough patients for prosthodontics. He needs a cast post and core as well as a crown, requirements I still need to fulfill. Basically, his tooth is almost all broken off so we have to make a post that will go into the canal space to support the crown. I suggested he could work with me and that I could get him started as early as Monday, and he went for it. I left school quite happy!

I guess there really are good days and bad days. I can't believe we are officially 1/5 way done with super block!

No comments: